As this year comes to an end, we start reflecting and start making plans for the new year. What can we do to be the best possible us? Here’s an idea…make 2019 the year of your home! Home is where the heart is. And having a clean, safe home just makes your heart feel good. Here are four ideas to help you get a jump start on your New Year’s resolutions.
1. Create a Cleaning Routine (and stick to it!)
For those of us who aren’t naturally organized and clean, try setting up a cleaning schedule to help you stay on top of it in 2019. Create a list of daily, weekly, and monthly tasks and plug them into your schedule. We love this cleaning schedule suggestion from spruce.com!
- Mop it Mondays: Mop up (or vacuum) the whole house. And if you don’t have time for the entire house, focus on high traffic areas
- Toilet Tuesdays: Anything bathroom related on this day. Scrub toilets, sinks, showers, and tubs. You get the idea
- Wipe it Down Wednesdays: Wipe down anything with a surface (think grime or dust). Some ideas: countertops, tabletops, toys, mirrors, blinds, furniture, door nobs, ceiling fans, TV, etc.
- Throw it out Thursdays: Dedicate this day to recycling junk mail, tossing expired food, donated items you no longer need.
- Fold it Friday: Laundry! All of it! Today is about getting the clothes cleaned, folded, and put away. Your laundry may take more than just one day, feel free to wash and dry throughout the week… but make sure everything is folded and put away today.
- Slow it Down Saturday: Set timer for 15-20 minutes and do a quick pick up
- Self-Centered Sundays: Take some time for yourself and skip the cleaning. You deserve it!
2. Cut the Clutter
Boxes of toys and clothes your kids have outgrown? Donate! Stack of junk mail that has accumulated for months? Recycle! Pantry full of expired food? Toss! Is there “stuff” you don’t use anymore taking up precious space in your home? Make it a priority this year to declutter. A clutter-free home will give you more space and will force you to decide what is actually important to you. Recommended read: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.
3. Commit to Home Safety
There are several things you can do in your home to protect you and your family in 2019 and beyond. Here are some basic tips to get started:
- Install and test Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors.
- Plan and practice your emergency escape route
- Keep medicine and household cleaners in a safe place out of sight and reach from children
Visit safety.com for some more safety tips and ideas.
4.Find Energy Savings
Make 2019 the year where you save money on energy and help the environment. Check out some energy saving ideas on www.energystar.gov. Did you know that lighting is one of the easiest places to start saving energy? Replacing your five most frequently used light fixtures or the bulbs in them with ENERGY STAR Certified lights can save $70 a year in energy costs!
Good luck! And Happy New Year!