When it comes to pizza, there’s nothing wrong with tried and true. But sometimes it’s fun to spice it up and try something new. Check out our list of 10 places to grab a slice of pizza in the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City area. From Chinese-style pizza to authentic Neapolitan pizza, there’s something for everyone.
1. Dig into perfectly hand-crafted thin crust pizza when you visit Need Pizza in downtown Cedar Rapids. All pizzas are build your own. Start by picking your sauce from their 4 options and then choose your toppings. There are vegan and gluten-free options available.
207 2nd Ave SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
2. If you’re craving a backyard pizza party vibe, head to Marquee Pizzeria where you’ll find great ‘za, great brews and cocktails and more. Their pizza has 100% naturally leavened dough, house-made mozzarella and high quality ingredients and is cooked at 900 degrees in an all wood-fired oven from Modena, Italy. While you’re there, take the Marquee pull challenge, where you can see how far to the ceiling your Brick o Mozza will reach without breaking.
920 E 2nd Ave #123, Coralville, IA 52241
3. What to do when you want pizza and your date wants Chinese? You won’t have to compromise at Fong’s Pizza! All of your Chinese favorites are fused with pizza to create Crab Rangoon pizza, Kung Pao Chicken pizza and more. If Chinese pizza isn’t your thing, they also have more traditional style pizza options.
1006 3rd St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
4. Rusciano’s is the place to go when you want authentic Neapolitan wood-fired pizza. The dough is made daily and raises at room temperature for over a day. The restaurant uses quality ingredients from local farms, vendors, and Italian imports to make a simple yet tasty pizza. You can also enjoy Neapolitan street food, house-made pasta, fresh mozzarella and more at Rusciano’s.
Rusciano’s Authentic Taste of Napoli
710 Pacha Pkwy #5, North Liberty, IA 52317
5. You may have previously visited Maggie’s Farm Pizza in the NewBo City Market or the Iowa City Farmers’ Market, but now you can taste their wood-fired pizza at their first brick-and-mortar location near downtown Iowa City. They have both red style pizza or white style pizza selections, depending on your preference. There are also gluten-free options available.
Maggie’s Farm Wood-Fired Pizza
1308 Melrose Ave, Iowa City, IA 52246
6. Craving New York, Chicago or Detroit crust? Get it locally at Tomaso’s Pizza. Their Detroit deep dish has cheese all the way to the pan so the crust gets crispy and caramelized. Their Chicago deep dish has a little cornmeal in the dough to make for a hearty crust. They also have New York thin crust for thin crust lovers. Choose from their specialty pizza options or make your own.
3234 Center Point Rd. NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
1111 7th Ave, Marion, IA 52302
1061 North Center Point Rd NE, Hiawatha, IA 52233
7. If you’ve never tried Flying Tomato pizza from Wig & Pen, you need to stat. It’s a pan style crust with tons of mozzarella and fresh tomato slices on top, along with your favorite toppings. If pan crust isn’t your thing, they also have traditional thin and crisp and a Chicago-style stuffed pizza crust.
Wig & Pen Pizza Pub
1220 US-6, Iowa City, IA 52246
201 Hwy 965 NE, North Liberty, IA 52317
363 North 1st Ave, Iowa City 52245
8. As the first pizzeria in Iowa to be certified by the Associazione Pizzaiuoli Napoletani and Vera Pizza Napoletana, you know you’ll be getting traditional Neapolitan pizza at Red Vespa. Located in the heart of Solon, the pizza is made with San Marzano tomatoes, housemade mozzarella, and dough and is baked until it’s charred to perfection, airy and soft with a delicate chew. Choose from their classic red sauce or white pizza varieties. They also have fresh-made pasta, mozzarella and sandwiches available.
208 E Main St, Solon, IA 52333
9. Zoey’s has been serving up cheesy ‘za in the downtown Marion area since 1991. Choose from their three crust options – Chicago style, New York thin and NewZago or make it a Calzoney. Be sure to save room for a Zookie, Zoey’s delicious take on a cookie pizza.
690 10th St, Marion, IA 52302
10. You’ll feel right at home as soon as you step in the door of Cappy’s Pizzeria. Their vintage-style restaurant is a great place to relax, cozy up and enjoy delectable bites of pizza and maybe a craft beer or two. Choose from hand-tossed thin or deep dish crust and variety of toppings.
7037 C Ave NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402