In our ongoing series, learn more about 5 local non-profit organizations serving the Corridor. Get more involved in the local community, make a difference and meet new people at one of these great organizations.
1. Waypoint is an organization that provides domestic violence victim services, homeless and housing services and childcare for those in need. There are many ways to volunteer: become a domestic violence volunteer advocate, client outreach manager, shelter services assistant and more. You can also coordinate a donation drive or make bags of hope to help those who are homeless with basic necessities like toothpaste, soap and snacks. Sign up here to volunteer or to donate visit this page.
318 5th St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
2. Serving the Cedar Rapids community since 1985, Young Parents Network’s mission is to create a network of support through education and resources, to build confidence and personal accountability for healthy and successful families. You can contribute to YPN by becoming a volunteer or donating here.
Young Parents Network
420 6th St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
3. Linn Community Food Bank is an all-volunteer organization that feeds hungry men, women and children in the Cedar Rapids area. Help the food bank by hosting a food drive or donate monetarily by sending a check to 310 5th Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401. Find a list of food donations needed here.
Linn Community Food Bank
310 5th St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
4. Shelter House provides 70 shelter beds for men, women, and children experiencing homelessness in the Iowa City area. They offer supportive services that help individuals and families make the transition to more stable productive lives, including a housing program, employment help, mental health services and veteran services. Help the Shelter House by giving your time as a volunteer, drop off household/personal care items or donate here.
429 Southgate Ave, Iowa City, IA 52240
5. RVAP is a sexual assault victim advocate and prevention education agency that serves anyone impacted by sexual violence — survivors and/or their loved ones. They serve Cedar, Des Moines, Henry, Iowa, Johnson, Lee, Washington and Van Buren counties. You can help RVAP by becoming a volunteer or by supporting their cause with a donation here.
Rape Victim Advocacy Program
332 S Linn St # 100, Iowa City, IA 52240
Have an idea for an organization that should be featured? Comment below!