Fall has finally arrived in Iowa and it’s time to pick out the perfect pumpkin and enjoy locally grown apples. Whether you prefer to pick your own or choose from the selection, there are many options on where to go in the Corridor. You’ll also find many fun, family-friendly activities at many of the orchards and pumpkin patches, including tractor rides, petting zoos, corn boxes and bounce pads. Don’t forget to grab the delicious baked goods on your visits to these local places!
1. Allen’s Orchard is a family run orchard that offers over 40 varieties of apples. On Saturdays and Sundays, you can pick the apples you want, right off the tree. Allen’s also has fresh grown produce, unique gifts, and all kinds of treats including donuts, turnovers, cookies, pies and caramel apples.
5801 N 10th St, Marion, IA 52302
2. Bart’s is a family-owned pumpkin patch in Marion. You’ll find reasonably priced pumpkins of all sizes, along with cornstalk bundles, straw, ear corn and gourds. There are activities for the kids to do including hayrack rides, small pedal tractors and a small corn maze. Pony rides are available on Saturdays and Sundays from noon-4 p.m. for $7.
Bart’s Farm & Pumpkin Patch
7307 Alburnett Rd, Marion, IA 52302
3. Located in Mount Vernon, The Big Apple Orchard is family run and has around 2,000 apple trees and 22 varieties of apples. Come on Saturdays and Sundays for fresh apple donuts, turnovers and more!
The Big Apple Orchard
1115 Why 30 W, Mount Vernon, IA 52314
4. Get the full farm experience at Bass Family Farms – they grow and harvest all kinds of vegetables. You can learn more about their CSA membership program or pick up a pumpkin to carve. There are hayrack rides and pumpkin patch excursions for the kids.
Bass Family Farms
840 Bass Lane, Mount Vernon, IA 52314
5. Find it all at Bloomsbury Farm! From hayrack rides to the zip-line, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Younger kids will enjoy the hayrack ride and learning barn, while older kids may like Scream Acres corn maze and haunted house.
3260 69th St, Atkins, IA 52206
6. Get the perfect pumpkin at Colony Pumpkin Patch! There are also many kid friendly activities available – a 10 acre corn maze, barrel train, corn box, bounce pad, zip-line, hayrack rides and more.
Colony Pumpkin Patch
2780 Front St NE, North Liberty, IA 52317
7. Located 5 miles north of Vinton, the Kacena Pumpkin Farm has over 70 varieties of squash and gourds, over 20 varieties of pumpkins, Indian corn, and specialty decorative corn.
Kacena Pumpkin Farm
2510 55th St, Vinton, IA 52349
8. Enjoy all types of fall activities at Kroul Farms. Pull your wagon through the spooky graveyard and past the haunted old car or travel through the 3-acre corn maze. Check out the animals (kittens, ducks, rabbits, pigs, goats, cows and chickens) or shop the large selection of Indian corn, gourds and squash, straw bales, corn-shucks, and specialty pumpkins.
245 IA-1, Mount Vernon, IA 52314
9. Experience the relaxed country atmosphere at Sass Family Farm. Let the kids play in the sand box, the corn jump, the building block table, and on the swings while you shop for fresh produce, crafts and antiques. You can also see goats, horses, bunnies, sheep and llamas in the petting zoo.
Sass Family Farm
3060 160th St., Riverside, IA 52327
10. Take a tractor ride or walk down to the apple orchard to do your picking and strolling. You’ll find a wide assortment of apples, apple turnovers, fresh apple cider, more apple goodies and other fun stuff in the barn.
4823 Dingleberry Road NE, Iowa City, IA 52240