Celebrate the end of summer and the start of fall with these fun, family activities all Labor Day weekend long. From breakfast with Paw Patrol characters to Hawkeye football, there’s an event for everyone to enjoy.
1. Kick off the weekend at Fry Fest in Coralville. There will be events all day Friday, Sept 1st, including the World’s Largest Hawkeye Tradeshow, autograph sessions with former Hawkeye athletes, and concerts. Arch Allies will be the concert headliner, and The Pork Tornadoes open the show. There will be fireworks at the end of the night.
Friday, Sept. 1st – all day
Iowa River Landing, Coralville, IA 52241
2. Take the family to pick up some apples at Wilson’s Orchard during Honeycrisp Weekend. They will be open all weekend, with delicious apple baked good available in the barn. Try hot apple turnovers, apple cider donuts, apple cider slushies and more!
Friday, Sept. 1st – Monday, Sept. 4th
4823 Dingleberry Rd NE, Iowa City, IA 52240
3. Visit the New Bohemia neighborhood of Cedar Rapids for the 11th annual Newbo Arts Festival. The day will be filled with musical performances, art and great people and goes from 9 AM to 9 PM on Sunday, Sept. 3.
Newbo Arts Festival
Sunday, Sept. 3rd from 9 AM – 9 PM
3rd Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
4. Meet Chase and Marshall at the Paw Patrol Breakfast at the Mt. Vernon Rd Hy-Vee on Sat, Sept. 2nd from 8 AM – 11 AM! There will be a buffet for kids ($4.99) and adults ($9.99). Kids eat FREE with each adult purchase!
Mt Vernon Rd Hy-Vee
Saturday, Sept. 2nd from 8 AM – 11 AM
4035 Mt. Vernon Rd SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
5. Ever had the desire to play sand volleyball in the middle of downtown Iowa City? Saturday, Sept. 2nd you’ll have your chance! The 2017 End of Summer Block Party will be happening in downtown Iowa City from 12 PM – 9:30 PM.
Iowa City Pedestrian Mall
Saturday, Sept. 2nd from 12 PM – 9:30 PM
325 East Washington St, Iowa City, IA 52240
6. Bring the kids out on Saturday from 8 PM to 11 PM to join DJ Jason Guerrero at Sky Zone Glow Night for some extreme energy burn! You’ll be able to bounce while enjoying great music. Tickets are $23 a person and include 3 hours of bounce time, glow attire and face paint.
Saturday, Sept. 2nd from 8 PM – 11 PM
5515 Council St NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
7. Visit the Iowa Raptor Project for September Family Day. This month they are featuring the Turkey Vulture. There will also be arts and crafts and snacks. The event is free and open to the public from 11 AM to 3 PM.
Iowa Raptor Project
Saturday, Sept. 2nd from 11 AM – 3 PM
2095 Mehaffey Bridge Rd NE, Solon, IA 52333
8. Enjoy unlimited beer samples and a souvenir glass during the Festival of Iowa Beers at Millstream Brewing Co. in Amana on Sunday, Sept 3 from 1 PM to 5 PM. Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 the day of.
Millstream Brewing Co.
Sunday, Sept. 3rd from 1 PM – 5 PM
835 48th Ave, Amana, IA 52203
9. Celebrate the kick-off of the Hawkeye football season with the season opener at Kinnick! The Hawkeyes will be playing the Wyoming Cowboys at 11 AM.
Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Wyoming Cowboys
Saturday, Sept. 2nd at 11 AM
Kinnick Stadium, 825 Stadium Dr, Iowa City, IA 52240
10. Grab a blanket or lawn chair and visit Newbo City Market for the free concert series, Rock the Block. Brass Transit Authority, a band composed of nine local musicians will be playing music from Chicago, Van Morrison and more from 5:30 PM to 8 PM.
Newbo City Market
Friday, Sept. 1st from 5:30 PM – 8 PM
1100 3rd Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
11. Head downtown Cedar Rapids for one of the last downtown farmer’s markets of the year. There will be nearly 200 local Iowa vendors offering all types of products, including fresh produce and artisan gifts.
Cedar Rapids Downtown Farmer’s Market
Saturday Sept. 2nd from 7:30 AM – 12 PM
501 1st St SE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401