You glance outside your window and notice the house down the street has a sold sign in the yard. You know what that means? New neighbors! Moving into a new home in a new neighborhood can be exciting and stressful all at the same time. Imagine what it’s like to be in a new place surrounded by new people. It’s a little nerve-racking. It’s your duty as a good neighbor to welcome them to the neighborhood. Encourage the other neighbors to do the same.
Introduce yourself and welcome them by stopping by and saying, “hi” or drop off a small gift. It doesn’t have to be anything huge, just a little something to let them know they are welcome. Here are 14 gift ideas for your new neighbor to help welcome them to the neighborhood. Check out these free printable downloads to include with your gift.
- Classic cookies. Whether homemade or storemade, who doesn’t love cookies? Include a little note welcoming them to the neighborhood.
- Gift card to local pizza place. Nobody feels like cooking after a long day of moving, nor do they have the kitchen set up to do so. Treat them to a pizza. They will love you.
- Bottle of wine. Help them celebrate their new home!
- Send a plant or a floral arrangement. It could be a cute little succulent or a bouquet of daisies. Whatever will make them smile.
- DIY map to show local hot spots. Take a sheet of paper, grab some colors, and draw out a map of the neighborhood. Point out some areas that the new neighbors should check out. Include some other ideas like best areas to walk, ride bikes, or any other neighborhood tips.
- S’more kit. Wrap a package of chocolate bars, a package of marshmallows, and graham crackers together with a note that says, “Can’t wait to get to know you s’more!” or even just a welcome note would do.
- Cupcakes from your local bakery. Who doesn’t love cupcakes! This would be a great way to show off a local bakery.
- Welcome card. Make a card welcoming them to the neighborhood. Download these free printable cards to help get you started.
- Cleaning supply basket. One of the first things people do when moving or unpacking is clean. Include things like paper towels, dish soap, dish towels, etc. It doesn’t have to be a lot of items, just a few to get the idea across.
- Spaghetti dinner basket. With all of the hustle and bustle of moving into a new home, there’s little time to go grocery shopping. Put together a jar of spaghetti sauce, a package of noodles, and a loaf of Italian bread. It’s an easy and delicious dinner.
- Coasters. A simple gift to give the opportunity to introduce yourself and welcome them to the neighborhood.
- Gift card to local coffee shop. Share your favorite local coffee shop and help them stay energized during the move.
- Chips and salsa. This would make for a great snack while unpacking.
- A simple, “Howdy neighbor!” You don’t have to be extravagant or spend a lot of money. It’s the thought that really matters. Say, “hi” and introduce yourself. Welcome them to the neighborhood and give them a few pointers.
“A bad neighbor is a misfortune, as much as a good one is a great blessing.” –Hesiod. Be the good neighbor!