Fall is finally here! Pumpkin patches, sweaters, caramel apples, and home maintenance. We’ve compiled a checklist of routine maintenance items that you can do around your home to help keep it in tip-top shape and ready for the upcoming (dare we say it…) winter months. Feel free to add your own tasks!
Click here to download the Free Fall Home Maintenance Checklist Printable.
- Ceiling Fans: Reverse your ceiling fan. A ceiling fan should run counter clockwise in the fall and winter to help press warm air down.
- Furnace: Have your heating system checked by a professional to make sure everything is on point for the cooler weather. Wipe down your air vents and registers.
- Furnace Filters: Change out your furnace filter. Check your owner’s manual to see how often your furnace filter needs to be changed.
- Water Heater: Flush out your water heater. It’s recommended to do this a few times a year depending on usage. Check your owner’s manual to see what the manufacturer suggests.
- Sump pump: Test your sump pump to make sure it’s working properly.
- Gutters: Clean gutters and downspouts and make sure both are free of leaves and debris, allowing water to run properly.
- Roof: Inspect roof. Check for shingles that are curling, missing, or broken.
- Air Conditioner: Cover air conditioning unit outside to prevent debris and winter weather.
- Outdoor Furniture: Cover and store outdoor furniture.
- Yard Equipment: Clean up yard equipment such as lawn mower and string trimmers. Make sure the snow blower works properly and is ready for winter.
- Water Hose: Store your hoses and winterize outdoor faucets.
- Garbage/Recycling Bins: Wash out your garbage and recycling bins.
- Trees/Bushes: Trim trees and bushes.
- Decks: Check and inspect decks. Fall is a great time to restain if necessary.